My latest project, just so I have some modular fun close to hand when it’s too cold to sit up in my shed 🙂
Really pleased with the Spectre iPad sequencer too. Works great with the CV Pal module and allows me an easy way to program accents for the VCF303 via the second gate output.
Have some DIY modules lined up to build in the new year including an Alex & June filter and a Music Thing Modular Spring Reverb. Planning to mount the phono sockets on the side of the case so that the tank can be positioned away from the power supply.
Well, it’s getting there! The case is all finished and I’ve started filling up with the new modules.
I’ve got an MFB Seq 01 on back order from Thomann and will hopefully get my ModSeq soon which will finish the bottom row off. Then it’s just a case of getting some Tip Top drum modules and an intellijel mixer for the middle row.
I’ve also started building a mini passive expansion rack which will sit on the top of the main unit. Still a work in progress, but here’s what it looks like so far…
Have been spending the last couple of evenings having a play with various new layouts for my modular synthesizer, so that I can incorporate some drum modules and sequencing. Will mean adding an extra row to the rack (time for my woodworking skills) but should be great once it’s all finished and will give me a really flexible sound making machine at the end of it.
I’m also looking to add a few sound shaping modules too for good measure including a ring modulator, spring reverb and wave shaper.
You can see which modules I’m looking to buy on the above chart. ‘White’ are modules I already have, ‘Blue’ are modules I bought this evening and ‘Yellow’ are the modules I intend to buy over the coming months. ‘Green’ is a little DIY action in the shape of a switched multiple I’m building to compliment the Decade Counter.
To pay for all this, I am going to have to sell some of my unused studio equipment which will be going up on ebay soon. (Will post once it’s up!)
Have updated my Max for Live, Meeblip editor to include a couple of Bass presets and also a new randomise function.
The randomise function also includes a handy matrix which allows you to control exactly how much of the sound is randomised.
You can download it now from maxforlive.com
Just taking my first steps into the world of modular synthesis as an early present to myself for my up and coming 40th birthday (yes, I really am that old!)
Have started small with some basic doepfer modules including their Noise generator and Sample and Hold modules which are great for random filtered madness, and augmented them with a lovely TipTop Audio Z3000 oscillator which sounds lush! I also got a V’amp VCA from Post Modular which is pretty special and doubles as a ring modulator.
The Novation Launchpad is used as a step sequencer for the modular synth, running a Max for Live patch. The Dark Energy acts as a MIDI to CV convertor as well as providing LFO’s and envelope duties until I buy dedicated modules for these.
Can see how this can get addictive (not to mention expensive!)
Hours of fun 🙂
Just created a new max for live device to edit my Doepfer Dark Energy synth. This let’s you get easy access to the goodies in the ‘learn mode’ including the arpeggiator. It goes without saying (hopefully) that you’ll need a copy of Ableton Live and Max for Live to make use of this. Enjoy!
You can download it now from www.maxforlive.com where you’ll also find the editor I wrote for for the MeeBlip micro
Custom NI Maschine skin supplied by Jesse Dean designs. Looks fabulous!
Just need to get one for my Akai APC40 and I’ll be sorted.
Some new toys for the shed… NI Maschine, Doepfer Dark Energy (which I’ve already modified with custom end panels and a second LFO out) and an Alesis ineKo (like a multi-effect version of the Bitrman with additional delays and vocoder programs)
I came across a blog entry on Jim Purbrick’s website, detailing a feedback modification for the new stylophones that creates some nasty, distorted tones. (Nice!)
The modification works by routing the headphone output into the mp3 input thus creating a feedback loop. I managed to find a couple of alternative feedback points too (some switched, some through potentiometers) and also took the opportunity to reposition the pitch bend knob to the front panel.
A word of warning though, the quality of the factory soldering and indeed the wiring itself is pretty poor and I managed to inadvertently rip the vibrato switch off of the circuit board – taking the soldering point with it! Fortunately, everything else is working fine and I’ve repurposed the vibrato switch for a couple of bend points which generate a constant drone – much easier than struggling with the stylus.
Thanks to Jim for the idea!